So I have had something happen to me this week that has made me go back in time to my childhood and remember what it was like to have a complete crush. Last Saturday night while driving in our car as a family, Eric announced that he was in love with a girl named Bailey from his school. He also said that another part of his secret was that he wanted to marry her. Ryan and I first reacted with stifled giggles, because it was so cute, but then it quickly turned into, "Oh crap, my kids only 7!" It scared me quite a bit because I don't remember having a real crush until 6th grade. His name was JR and I remember it being quite intense, and this is what scared me. (Which by the way Carly, thanks for that trip down memory lane with the blog link!)
Well, I kind of dismissed the thought of it until the next day. On Sunday during primary the leader was talking about things that we can give for Christmas this year to others that don't cost any money. The kids were to write what they were going to give and then tell the primary and put it on a Christmas tree as an ornament. It gets to be Eric's turn and he gets up to tell the primary that he is going to make cookies for Bailey. So tender and cute, but again, he is only 7. I didn't think that boys got crushes this soon, and it made him so big in my eyes. Later that night we had a discussion, he told us that his last secret was that he wanted to be Bailey's boyfriend, and then we told him that the prophets have told us not to date until we are 16 and we made him count out the number of years until that date. Thankfully there is 9 more to go, but if this keeps up we may be in big trouble.
My fears were once again resolved when Ryan told me that night that his first crush was when he was 7 also. He remembered first and last names of the girl, I felt so much better knowing this because Ryan was such a perfect child. I guess now I can say one more time, Eric is just like his father.
I think that I need to calm down and realize that this is a part of childhood and enjoy the fact that Eric is sharing with me. I can't believe how old he is getting. It goes by way too fast.
3 comments:
That is so cute!! No worries though! Lydia has a big crush on Pehrson and she's only 3! She talks about him all the time, even though they've moved! Now that's scary! Now Eric's comment in primary makes much more sense!! Your kids are so adorable!
I'm so glad that my boys aren't into the girl thing! Maybe we'll get lucky and never have to deal with it! Hope you are feeling good. Glad to see that you're still blogging!!!!
that is so sweet, i don't think you have anything to worry about. he seems so sincere and innocent about it all. (my daughter is 6 and has a different boyfriend everyday.)
Post a Comment