Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Tender Mercy

I have a fetish, I collect something, and this also is something I inherited from my mother. At Christmas time I open a few bins that hold some of my favorite possessions. My Nativities. I carefully unpack each one and place them on the shelves, all while listening to my favorite Christmas carols. This past Thursday, I was doing such a task and had my favorite song on, "O Holy Night". I had unpacked all 17 sets, but not set them up yet, when I asked Tyler to go get the mail. He came back with a box postmarked to me. I recognized the handwriting immediately and couldn't wait to open it. It was a package from my dear friend Jodi. As soon as I had cut the tape, tears began flowing. Her family had just returned from Ethiopia, where they adopted their little boy Jacob. And inside the box was a beautifully crafted nativity from where they had just been. My boys didn't understand why I was crying, and I guess all I could say was, "I just miss Jodi."
Heavenly Father had sent me a tender mercy to remind me that I am not alone, and that someone is aware of me. He gave me a friend that knows what I love, and then had her send it in the mail to arrive at the perfect time to find the best place for it. It was such a simple act, yet every time I look at it I am reminded of the incredible friendship that I have with her, and the love that Heavenly Father has for me. He sent me a gift too. His Son.
It is so wonderful that we can be reminded, at the perfect time for each of us, that we are not alone.


6 comments:

Erica said...

You are really lucky to have such a good friend. That is a beautiful nativity. I am jealous.

admin said...

What a beautiful new addition to your collection! And what a tender mercy Jodi is in your life. I know you miss her so very much but your life is better because she is part of it even if she is far away. Heavenly Father does love you and knows what you need. How blessed you are!

Abbie&Trevor said...

You are lucky to have such a great friendship. It's hard in our busy lives to really slow don't and appreciate the people in our lives. What a great friend.

mcjenn said...

touching story and beautiful, unique Nativity.

The Daltons said...

I know how you feel!! I miss Clarissa so bad. Friends are so important, luckily I stay pretty busy so it keeps my mind off her and her great girls. But more often then not I find myself on her blog page looking at her pictures and crying!!! Thats sweet of Jodi to send you that Nativity. She must know you very well!!

Deann H said...

That is beautiful! One of my favorite parts of this season is nativities, I love visiting my aunt to see her collection.